Loxodon are a stoic, hardy race that are noted for their methodical minds and deliberate intent. A long-lived race, loxodon rarely forget even the smallest detail once committed to memory. And while many loxodon are predisposed to more scholarly or magical pursuits, those who commit themselves to martial combat prove to be an intimidating force to be reckoned with, their size and girth making them steadfast, immovable objects.
Supposedly, loxodon are similar in appearance to ancient pachyderms said to roam the wilds of primeval Ravnica. Loxodon stand on average around 6 feet high, some as much as 7 feet, and their considerable bulk has them take up a lot of space. They have coarse, wrinkly gray skin covered in places by bristly hairs, and massive ears that they can sweep back and forth to keep cool. Both male and female loxodon have large ivory tusks, which can grow and curve to a considerably length. The most discerning feature of a loxodon is its long trunk, which it can move and manipulate. Loxodon often use their trunks to communicate to each other, sometimes trumpeting out of them in a mix of sounds and gestures that make up the Lox language; while other races can learn to understand Lox, they cannot speak it.
Loxodon are creatures of patience and contemplation. They do things slowly and with forethought, be it moving, speaking or thinking, but once they have set themselves to an idea or task they are nigh-impossible to budge. Rarely are loxodon compulsive or hasty, instead preferring to stay true to their own calling. They have an appreciation for subtlety and small moments, and many are appealed to by intricacies of architecture, nature, art and philosophy. Loxodon also value family and friends to a great degree, and are noted for their unshakeable loyalty once earned. Allies of a loxodon will find a steadfast companion who will always have their back, while enemies discover that loxodon rarely forget slights or wounds.
Because of their closeness to nature and their ideals for community, most guilded loxodon find themselves in the ranks of the Selesnya Conclave, putting their keen intellects to the task of bringing other into the fold, or utilizing their raw muscle to protect the wilderness enclaves. The Boros Legion also finds loxodon in its rank-and-file, able warriors and mages ready to fight for the things they hold dear. The Azorius see a few loxodon in their ranks, often as lawmages, while the Orzhov have known loxodon members as enforcers, scribes, pontiffs and debtors alike. It is extremely rare for a loxodon to be part of the Golgari, Gruul or Simic, but examples have come up within these guilds.
Loxodon Racial Traits
- +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dexterity Loxodon are sturdy and philosophical, but lack agility.
- Size Loxodon are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to size.
- Slow Speed Loxodon are slower than average, and have a base speed of 20 feet.
- Healthy Loxodon gain a +4 bonus on Fortitude saves against disease and poison, including magical diseases.
- Stability Loxodon receive a +4 racial bonus to their CMD when resisting bull rush or trip attempts while standing on the ground.
- Lifebound Loxodon gain a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws made to resist death effects, saving throws against negative energy effects, Fortitude saves made to remove negative levels, and Constitution checks made to stabilize if reduced to negative hit points.
- Sociable When Loxodon attempt to change a creature’s attitude with a Diplomacy check and fail by 5 or more, they can try to influence the creature a second time even if 24 hours have not passed.
- Ferocity If a loxodon’s hit points fall below 0 but it is not yet dead, it can continue to fight. If it does, it is staggered, and loses 1 hit point each round. It still dies when its hit points reach a negative amount equal to its Constitution score.
- Trunk Loxodon have long, flexible trunks that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their trunks, but they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action.
- Languages Loxodon begin play speaking Ravi and Lox. Loxodon with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following laguages: Elven, Goblin, Gruul, High Ravi, Tauran, Sylvan and Undercommon.