Kraul are an insectile teratogen race that dwell in the deepest, darkest corners of the Undercity. Very little is truly known about the kraul, as they prefer to remain isolated from even their fellow denizens of Old Rav. Some have been known to work with the Golgari Swarm, due to their affinity for insects and appreciation for mold and fungi, but most kraul are independent of the guilds. Kraul society seems to be caste-based, as many of its members that communicate with others claim to be on the “outsider tier” and refuse to say more about their insular culture. Most of these kraul are scavengers, hunters and warriors.
This strange creature bears certain similarities to a centaur, though its small stature, thorax body, clicking legs and buglike head certainly set it apart.
Kraul Warrior CR 1/3
Kraul warrior 1
N Medium monstrous humanoid
Init +5; Senses darkvision 60 ft; Perception +2
AC 13, touch 11, flat-footed 12 (+2 armor, +1 Dex)
HP 10 (1d8)
Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2
Speed 40 ft.
Melee greataxe + 3 (1d12 +2/x3)
Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 14 (18 vs. trip)
Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 6
Feats Improved Initiative
Skills Climb + 6, Handle Animal -2 ( +2 with insects), Perception + 2
Organization solitary, pair, clutch (3-8) or swarm (9-100)
Treasure NPC gear (greataxe, other treasure)
All kraul possess vestigial wings used in communication, but some kraul have wings strong enough to allow flight. These kraul lack the more robust carapaces of their land-bound brethren.
Kraul are defined by their class levels – they do not have racial Hit Dice. Kraul have the following racial traits.
- +2 Con, -2 Int, +2 Wis: Kraul are sturdy and have good common sense, but lack an understanding of things outside their limited domain.
- Natural Armor: Kraul have a chitinous outer shell, granting them a +2 natural armor bonus to their AC.
- Quadraped: Kraul possess four legs and two arms, granting them a +4 racial bonus to CMD against trip attempts and a +10 foot bonus to their base speed. Unlike most quadrupeds, kraul do not have to be Large size to have this ability.
- Insect Empathy: Kraul get a +4 bonus to Handle Animal checks made to deal with insects.
- Languages: Kraul begin play speaking only their own language. Kraul with high enough intelligence can choose from any of the following languages: Elven, Gruul, Undercommon and Ravi.